Canine blood donation.
The blood donation sessions are run and staffed by The Pet Blood Bank. It works in a similar way to the human blood donation service so blood is collected from donor dogs and is either blood- typed and stored as whole blood or separated and its components kept to be used as plasma or other blood products.
Practices and their clients subsequently have access to whole blood and all of these other products in emergency cases such a severe haemorrhage, shock, gut infections or other toxic conditions.
After many really successful Pet Blood Drives we are hosting further sessions on: 25th June 2022, 3rd September 2022 and 12th November 2022.
For more information on The Pet Blood Bank or to make a booking for your dog to donate at one of our sessions visit www.petbloodbankuk.org
Your dog must fit the following criteria in order to donate.
- Weigh over 25kg
- Aged between 1 and 8 years.
- Up to date with vaccinations.
- Be fit and well.
- No history of seizures/heart murmurs.
- Not currently taking any prescribed medication.
- Never travelled abroad.
- Never received a blood transfusion.
- Have a good temperament and not mind being at the vets!
- Been microchipped (would be microchipped free of charge if not done already!)